Offer for more Safety: Citizens aged Over-65s can surrender their driving licence for the free travel pass in Baden-Württemberg.
Stuttgart – Over a third of road users who have had fatal accidents on the road are 65 and older.
These statistics form the basis for a new project by the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Transport, which will start on December 1 of this year. The State Ministry of Transport has just signed an agreement with the relevant transport associations to make the idea a reality.
From December 1, senior citizens can apply for a free annual ticket for local transport on one of the participating transport associations. To do this, they must voluntarily and permanently renounce their driving licence and return it to the authorities. The exchange is currently being offered by the following networks, among others:
- bodo (Bodensee-Oberschwaben Verkehrsverbund GmbH)
- DING (Donau-Iller-Nahverkehrsverbund-GmbH)
- HNV (Heilbronner Hohenloher Haller Nahverkehr GmbH)
- htv (Heidenheimer Tariff Association)
- KVV (Karlsruher Verkehrsverbund GmbH)
- OstalbMobil (OstalbMobil GmbH)
- RVL (Regio Verkehrsverbund Lörrach GmbH)
- VHB (Transport Company Hegau-Bodensee Verbund GmbH)
- VVR (Verkehrsverbund Rottweil GmbH)
- VVS (Transport and Tariff Association Stuttgart GmbH)
- WTV (Waldshuter Tarifverbund GmbH)
The Verkehrsbund Stuttgart has been making a similar offer for some time. So far, around 5.300 senior citizens have already taken up the offer, with an average age of 80 years.
The Baden-Württemberg State Seniors’ Council also welcomes the Ministry of Transport’s project and sees it as an opportunity for older people and pensioners to make a “long overdue, but postponed decision.” “When driving a car in city traffic due to physical disabilities or poor performance, It becomes more and more difficult to see and hear, and you feel insecure; this offer can be an incentive or a final impetus to return your driving license,” continues Bernd Ebert from the regional seniors’ council.
Would you trade your driving licence in for a free travel pass?